Whenever you crave for some frozen treat, make this incredibly simple coconut milk ice cream recipe, which is dairy-free, and requires just 4 ingredients. Its preparation doesn’t even require an ice cream maker, but just the ingredients and little time.
Unlike many other homemade ice cream recipes which demand all kinds of sugary mixtures, this one includes healthy ingredients.
One such ingredients is the coconut milk, or coconut cream which can be easily found at most health food and grocery stores, as well as online.
The reason why people are constantly using coconuts in nearly everything they make, is due to its immense health benefits. Coconut milk is made by grating and heating the coconut flesh, and the cream that rises to the top is actually the coconut cream.
Coconut contains high amounts of vitamins B1, B3, B5, B6, C, E, dietary fiber, and minerals. Lactose intolerant people can use coconut milk as a substitute that will provide you with the same goodness without causing upset stomach.
Coconuts are high in fats and calories, but these are good saturated fats (short and medium chain fatty acids), just like most nuts are. These fatty acids contain compounds which protect our body from all sorts of infections and viruses.
That’s why coconut milk is an ideal base for a healthy treat that replaces the regular ice cream.
The coconut flavor is prevalent throughout this homemade ice cream, so coconut lovers will definitely love it.
- Recipe for 3 to 4 servings
- Preparation Time – 25 minutes
- Cook Time – 4 hours
- 1 14 ounce can full fat coconut milk that has been chilled overnight (or coconut cream)
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of maple syrup (or to taste)
- 4 tablespoons of tapioca flour and water, made into a semiliquid mixture
- Fruits for topping
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Melted chocolate drizzle
1. You need to chill the mixing bowl, as well as the canned coconut milk for about 15 minutes.
2. Whip together the required ingredients using a stand mixer or egg beaters, until the mixture gets creamy and thick, which will take around 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Get a lined freezer-safe container and pour the ice cream base. Then wrap with plastic wrap and foil. The ice cream should be refrigerated from four hours up to overnight.
Last tip: If your homemade ice cream is fully frozen, let it unfreeze for about 10 minutes before scooping.